Monday, September 12, 2011

A Day In The Life Of....

Gordon Campbell, chief financial officer, Ubisense

7am Radio kicks in with the news. Get up and head downstairs for the most control-freak part of the day – making breakfast.

I never leave home without my cereal and tea (whatever time, even if I didn’t make it to bed the previous day) and it’s the only part of my contribution to family life that our two children miss when I am overseas.

1. Warm milk for three because that takes the longest.
2. Boil kettle for one.
3. Four bowls of cereal from a selection of five cereals, with no two people having the same combination.

Spoons, teabag, microwave pings and we are off.

8.30am Leave for work. If I am lucky I might find a bike out of the 17 or so that we possess that has the saddle at about the right height and enough air in both tyres for me to cycle. More often than not I’m not lucky and I end up driving.

9am Arrive at the Ubisense office in St Andrew’s Road, Chesterton. Log on, look at email, open post and figure out what the day will bring.

9.30am Settle down to spend the morning dealing with the new world we are in.

Since we IPO’d in June the crazy timetable of bankers, lawyers and accountants has stopped but has been replaced by a thirst for information on the company and its shares by staff, shareholders, institutions and potential future investors. Can I exercise my options? How do I buy shares? Why is the share price in the FT wrong? (Don’t believe everything you read!). How many shares are outstanding? What is the free float? Can I have a set of your accounts?

1pm Time to go for a run.

2pm Disappointing performance this lunchtime. After running my set course once a week in January and February, and improving my time from 43 to 39 minutes, I have had months off while dealing with the IPO and my time has slipped back to 45 minutes. I’m getting too old for this – as helpfully highlighted by my children who have found some grey hair.

4pm Good session with the Ubisense finance team.

We talked through some of the changes we will need to make to our management accounts now that we are public. We also need to gear up for our first set of public accounts. Our half-year to June 30 finished eight days after we IPO’d, so we need to report interim results. So much for a summer holiday.

5pm Completed some real accounting: journals for the fundraising and option exercises. At least now it won’t be me holding up the half-year reporting. Figuring out the accounting transactions for the share capital and cash received reminded me that we need to update our Treasury Policy and pay off our loans. Draft a letter to the bank.

6pm The US has woken up. Deal with a flurry of emails and calls. They seem to have got (or, as they are American, “gotten”) into the habit of just assuming I’ll be in the office even though it is well into the evening.

8pm Home. Just get back in time to see the children and help my wife, Claire, get them to bed. She will have juggled her own work with the children’s daily routine and if they are playing up then the stress levels will be high. Spend a bit of time reading with my son Matthew and then checking my daughter Laura’s homework (but only if it’s maths – Claire does the rest).

10pm Dinner, on my lap in front of the BBC News. Try and stay awake for the weather.

11pm Back on my laptop, dealing with email and catching up on other outstanding actions.

Sneak a quick look at the Ubisense share price . . . still up from the float price. Of course it is – why wouldn’t it be – it’s a brilliant company! Watch a bit of sport on telly.

1am Bed. Six hours in bed and that usually means six hours of sleep. I’m out for the count before my head hits the pillow.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Business/Working-day/Gordon-Campbell-chief-financial-officer-Ubisense-06092011.htm

No comments: