Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Employee Spotlight: Christian Almazan

Name: Christian Almazan
Hometown: Rego Park, Queens, New York
Ubisense location: Denver, CO
Department: RTLS Americas, Delivery Team
Education: PhD and MS in Computer Science from the University of Maryland, College Park, BA in Computer Science from New York University

How long have you been with Ubisense and what is your background?

I joined Ubisense in November of 2010 shortly after finishing graduate school and a short stint as a research associate. My doctoral thesis focused on the development of context-aware applications. While not working on my thesis, I found the time to work as an independent contractor building website applications and working on WiFi-based location determination techniques with the research lab I worked with.

What’s a typical day like for you?

When I am not on the road and in Denver, I typically catch up with overnight e-mail and plan my day out, if I have not already done so yesterday. Typically, I am reading through documentation, source code, writing software, debugging software, handling support calls as needed, and helping around the office when needed, such as helping with shipping and receiving. If I am on the road, my day can vary greatly, but I am generally attending meetings, demoing software, and deploying and debugging installed software.

What is the most significant trend you’ve seen in your field?

The number of Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) providing location information to programmers, who in turn have had numerous packages which can use the location information to provide location-relevant information to end users. In the future, I am expecting to see a wealth of data correlating location and users’ context available to programmers and architects. This can enhance the experience a user has with a computing system, whether they hand carry their devices or wear a tag and use their entire environment as their computer.

How did you become interested in RTLS?

Right before I started graduate school, I had been reading a magazine discussing applications built on top of location determination technologies. You could say I have been hooked ever since on the RTLS field!

What was your very first job?

I joined a Manhattan-based Internet Service Provider as a technical support representative during high school and college, a time period where consumers had dial-up connections and buildings shared T1 connections. When not assisting customers over the phone or e-mail, I learned how to program (I learned a little bit of PERL first, then used PHP more extensively later, I primarily assisted in building websites).

What do you enjoy doing in your time off?

Spending time with my awesome wife and our pets. I also enjoy watching auto racing, playing video games, inline skating, and listening to mashups and video game music.

What is your favorite city?

It’s a bit of a tossup between the fast-paced New York City and the quieter nature of Denver. They say you can’t take the New York out of someone, but Denver has grown on me quite a bit.

Do you have any animals?

My wife and I currently take care of an Italian Greyhound named Sammy and two rabbits named Wally and Rocky.
What food could you eat forever?

New York Style Pizza (and bagels!)

Christian and his wife in the Rocky Mountains

No comments: