Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Employee Spotlight: Edgar Cooper

Name: Edgar Cooper
Hometown: New Orleans, LA
Ubisense Location: New Orleans, LA
Department: RTLS
Education: BA Philosophy and MS Computer Science


How long have you been with Ubisense and what is your background?

I joined Ubisense as part of the Terraprise Solutions acquisition in 2003. I remained on the GIS side of the business until 2005 when I moved to RTLS delivery.  Most of my previous experience was in software design and development so the RTLS business has been an exciting change. The mixture of hardware/RF and software has been exciting and extremely challenging.

My first project was tracking soldiers.  I remember wondering what I was getting into with automatic weapons and smoke grenades firing while testing.   That was an interesting start to what is almost 8 years of tracking soldiers, horses, dogs, monkeys, office workers, trade show attendees, and other random things until finally focusing on manufacturing and transit applications (with still the odd military, sports or patient tracking project)


What’s a typical day like for you?

There are no typical days in Ubisense! I am generally focused on the technical aspects of new or difficult projects and products, as well as helping where I can with proposals and general technical support of both internal resources and technical staff. I also travel on a near weekly basis to assist with specific pre-sales and project / delivery tasks.

What is the most significant trend you’ve seen in your field?

Over the last few years, there has been greater adoption of the technology and rapid expansion of RTLS business in manufacturing, transit and military.  The ‘special’ projects have been reduced and a more sustainable and predictable business has been growing.   I think that the next few years will continue with increased focus and rapid growth.

How did you become interested in GIS? Or RTLS?

I started out at Entergy working as a software developer on the Smallworld GIS project. Looking to travel and move beyond the Entergy cubicles, I co-founded TerraPrise Solutions to serve Smallworld GIS customer throughout the Americas. Terraprise was then acquired in 2003 and my career with Ubisense began.

What was your very first job?

I held summer jobs at a hospital working in the purchasing warehouse and maintenance. I then worked as a lab technician working on software/data analysis and doing antibody screening during college and graduate school.

What do you enjoy doing in your time off?

2013 has been a busy year but I try to volunteer at the Audubon Zoo on Saturday mornings.  I have worked in the primate section off and on since 1992 with a few of the same animals and zoo keepers.  Having divested of other hobby businesses in 2013, I am looking for new ideas for future ventures.


Pictures from my volunteer work at the Audubon Zoo
What is your favorite city?
New York City has been my favorite city to visit since spending 7 months there in 1998. I love the diversity, restaurants and constant activity.  After spending 2 weeks in Borneo at Matang Wildlife Center, I might have a new favorite country and to the surprise of many extended my vacation to a 3rd week.  The 3 weeks really helped recharge and refocus me.  I look forward to working hard but also taking time to explore SE Asia in the coming months/years.


Edgar with his dog Serefina
Taken at the Audubon Zoo

No comments: