Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Employee Spotlight: Janna Williams

Name: Janna Williams  
Hometown: Denver, Colorado           
Ubisense Location: Denver, Colorado 
Department: Finance
Education:  Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees in Accounting from the University of Denver, CPA

How long have you been with Ubisense and what is your background?  
I have been with Ubisense for nearly two years now.  I started my career in public accounting at a CPA firm in Denver, where I did audit and tax work for over 10 years.  Since then, I have worked in a variety of industries, including software / technology, financial institutions, and real estate. 

What’s a typical day like for you?  
There is definitely not a typical day!  The variety and volume of work keep it interesting for me.  We obviously have our monthly routines and deadlines for things like results, forecasts, and payroll.  There are annual tasks, such as the AOP, income taxes, and audits.  We also have multiple projects, such as registering for sales taxes and putting in place policies and procedures to properly collect and remit.  The Finance team has undergone a lot of change this year and we are constantly trying to improve the usefulness and timeliness of information we provide.  Hopefully some (or all) of you will see the benefits of these projects in 2014.

What inspired you to choose your career path?  
I took an accounting class in high school and the teacher inspired me to make a career of it.  At the time, we did accounting in pencil on green ledger paper instead of Excel and I liked it when everything balanced!  Although I quickly learned that is not accounting in the real world, there are a wide variety of jobs you can do and it is likely you’ll never be unemployed.

What was your very first job? 
My very first job was in High School at Dairy Queen where I learned how to make the perfect Peanut Buster Parfait and met my husband, Jamie!

What do you enjoy doing in your time off? 
In my free time, I enjoy cooking (and eating!), reading, and hiking.  I also love SCUBA diving and try to dive at least once a year. 


Do you own any animals?  
I have a 12 year old Shiba Inu named Sake (photo below) and a betta fish named Pacquiao.

What one food (or meal) could you eat forever?  
Sushi

Where do you plan on going for your next holiday?  
Speaking of diving, I hope to go somewhere tropical on my next vacation.  I went to Belize many years ago and have always wanted to go back.  The wrecks and underwater statue garden in Grenada could be fun.  Cozumel is always nice . . . .



No comments: